LLLT FOR TREATMENT OF HAIR LOSS IN MEN AND WOMEN:
LLLT- Low Level Laser Therapy For Thinning hair Treatments in Men and Women
Non-UV Red Light Therapies For Hair Regrowth.
Cold laser For Hair Regrowth
One of the major advancements in hair loss treatments in the last decade is the invention of Low Level Laser Therapy-LLLT for hair regrowth in men and women with androgenic alopecia or hereditary hair loss. Since its initial FDA approval in 2007 for male pattern baldness, multiple devices have surfaced for in home use and for use at a medical hair loss treatment facility.
How Does The LLLT Work For Hair Regrowth In Androgenic Alopecia?
The hair growth cycle consists of three phases:
- Anagen or growth phase
- Telogen or resting phase
- Catagen or shedding phase
The extent of air loss in any individual is related to the ratio of anagen catagen and telogen hairs. In androgenic alopecia, the hair loss is due to the presence of DHT or dihydrotestosterone, a testosterone derivative in the hair. DHT accumulation in the hair follicles, causes inflammation and chokes hair follicle of its circulation and nutrition leading to excessive hair loss. Low Level Laser Therapy is believed to reduce DHT follicle.
Theoretically, the light photons from the LLLT source get absorbed in the scalp and have an effect on on cytochrome C oxidase to increase the production of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) in mitochondria. The conversion of ATP to cyclic AMP inside the hair follicle cells, releases energy and starts the metabolic cascade leading to hair growth.
Furthermore, nitric oxide release from cells results in vasodilatation with increased hair follicle circulation, better nutrition, better oxygenation and healthier, denser hair with less hair loss.
LLLT reduces DHT accumulation in the hair follicles.
About 20% of patients do not respond to LLLT for hair regrowth. Unfortunately we cannot predict who will not respond.
Is There Any Clinical Evidence To Show Laser Hair Therapy Is Effective?
I have been skeptical about whether or not low level laser therapy is effective. There are several clinical studies that show the role of LLLT in improving hair growth for men and women with early and mild androgenic alopecia.
We have had the LLLT in my Southlake office for a few months now and we are now beginning to see the positive results of this treatment on our hair loss treatment patients.
Can LLLT Be Used In Combination With Other Hair Loss Treatments?
In fact, we recommend combining topical medications, oral medications (when indicated), supplements and good nutrition with ALL hair loss treatment therapies for best results.
As an in office clinical therapy, we currently use LLLT alone or with PRP +ACell injection treatments.
We always recommend using additional hair loss prevention measures, topical medications, prescription oral medications as clinically indicated, supplements to maximize hair nutrition with both treatment protocols to get the best results for the longest duration.
Who is the Best Candidate For LLLT ?
The LLLT is more likely to work in those with:
- Early hair loss, less than 5 years
- Mild hair loss, with diffuse or localized thinning of hair
- Transient hair loss such as hair loss following medical illness (after medical illness has been treated).
For more advanced and moderately severe hair loss, consider PRP + ACell with LLLT.
Individuals with very large areas of absolutely no hair follicles are best off starting with hair transplant.
Who is NOT A Candidate For LLLT for Hair Loss?
- Pregnant women
- Anyone with photosensitive skin condition,
- Anyone taking medication or supplements(such as St. John’s wort) that cause photosensitization
- Individuals with history of porphyria
- History of Epilepsy
How is LLLT Done?
- We ask that you wash your scalp thoroughly with a DHT removing shampoo like Nioxin shampoo on the day of your LLLT treatment.
- Before starting your first treatment, your trained medical professional will take photographs of your scalp for our records
- She will apply a small amount of topical medication to your scalp.
- You will be seated in a comfortable chair
- She will apply protective goggles for eye protection
- The LLLT hood is positioned above your scalp and the treatment is turned on for 20, 30 or 60 minutes depending on your choice of schedule.
Is LLLT it Painful?
Not at all! LLLT is a non-invasive treatment. The laser is a very low level laser, and also known as cold laser due to the fact that it does not induce any heat in the area being treated.. There is no heating of the scalp, no burn or any other uncomfortable sensation during the treatment.
Is LLLT safe?
YES. LLLT cannot cause cancer, skin or scalp disorders in people who do not have photosensitivity. No mutational effects have been demonstrated in any medical or scientific literature to date.
How Many LLLT Sessions Are Needed For Hair Regrowth And How Often?
Our LLLT protocol is a sixty minute treatment session every two weeks for minimum of six months. We follow the following treatment protocl for LLLT for hair regrowth:
- We start with two, 60 minute each sessions/month
- The twice a month sixty minute sessions are done regularly for six months. We emphasize compliance with the sessions for best chance at hair regrowth.
- We evaluate your hair regrowth after finishing the first six months.
- For those of you who have adequate hair regrowth and are satisfied with the amount of new hair regeneration and hair density at 6 months, we recommend that you continue your prescribed/recommended topical, medical care and follow up in one year to assess need for further treatments.
- For those of you who have not achieved their desired hair density, we recommend another 6 months of LLLT twice a month provided you are definitely having some improvement in hair density. OR
- You can choose to do the PRP + ACell injection therapy for hair regeneration.
What is the Cost Of The LLLT for Hair Regrowth In Southlake?
The costs of your LLLT programs varies with your individual treatment needs. We almost always combine your LLLT treatment with topical and oral medications, as clinically indicated and for many of our patients we start with the PRP + ACell injection treatment before the LLLT treatment for hair regeneration. The cost of LLLT as a stand alone treatment for hair regeneration at our Southlake office is:
- LLLT single treatment session- $149
- LLLT six month program, 12 treatment sessions, one every two weeks – $1499
Full and Partial Programs are available along with payment options for each. Additionally, we offer care credit financing option for 100% financing.
Call 888-210-9693 for a consultation to see if you are a candidate for the LLLT for thinning hair regrowth in Southlake.
There is a $100 consultation charge, which is applied toward your LLLT treatment in full if you start your treatment within 120 days of your consultation.